Sometimes in the summer months, you might be wishing you weren’t living in the Sunshine State, as Florida summers can be blistering hot and humid. Everyone knows that the summers can be sweltering and sweaty; so people try and find new and innovative ways to beat the heat in Jacksonville. There are plenty of beaches, water bodies and water-based amusement parks in and around Jacksonville for you to spend your summers in. Apart from air conditioned shopping malls and the theater, there are abundant water games, slides and coves for families with young children to have fun in Florida.
In the current economic climate, everyone is looking to save on their expenses; having your air conditioning working 24 X 7 might make your energy bill hit the ceiling, not to mention putting the ac unit under a lot of stress. Here are some tips to economically beat the Florida heat this summer:
- Wherever you spend your summer in Jacksonville, be sure to cover up properly to stay cool. It is important to wear light colored cotton or linen fabrics, and to wear loose fitted clothes. This kind of apparel will let your skin breathe so you will feel comfortable than in tight-fitting man-made fibers.
- Remember to wear open sandals or flip-flops in summer; also wear a cap or a hat to shade your face and head.
- Wear sunglasses whenever you venture out in the sun during the daytime in summers. This will protect your eyes and you won’t have to squint, thereby developing premature age-lines. You can even get sunglasses made to match your prescription for easy reading.
- Change your air filter in your air conditioning unit more frequently during the summer months to improve the circulation of cooled air.
- Using your ceiling fan to enhance the feeling of cooler air will help you to feel more comfortable, though it doesn’t necessarily cool down your room any further.
- Proper window treatments can also help to limit or restrict the amount of sunlight entering your home, and also the radiant heat. Invest in proper draperies for your home; it will be worth it in the savings on your energy bills.
- You should be prudent in exchanging your old air conditioning for a newer model after about 10 years, or 15 years for a well-maintained one. There are many models with good SEER ratings that can help you off-set their cost with savings on your utility bills.
- Put your HVAC system on a maintenance and service contract; this will not only give you optimum performance and better comfort, but also help keep your bills under control. It will further help to avoid costly repairs, because you will be carrying out pre-emptive maintenance on your HVAC system, fixing problems before they snowball.
- Avoid using the oven and stove in your kitchen during the hottest times of the day; this will help you to avoid generating more heat when its already hot, thereby placing more stress on your HVAC system during the Florida summers.
Snyder Heating and Air Conditioning is your trusted contractor for all your HVAC needs in the Jacksonville, Florida area. We have been taking care of the cooling and heating needs of the North Florida area for the past 40 years. As a family owned and operated company, we believe in our commitment to our customer’s satisfaction and work tirelessly towards the same. Our impeccable service over the past decades has earned us many accolades, and among them “Trane Comfort Specialist” and “Goodman A+ Dealer” go towards establishing our commitment to quality work. We deal with many high-end brands like Trane, Carrier, York and Lennox. Call us today for a free quote!